26 September 2011

Medal of Honor Winner Visits LA

Medal of Honor Winner Visits LA

Sergeant Dakota Meyer says he still hasn't gotten used to being called an American hero, despite being awarded the medal of honor in a ceremony at the White House this month.

"I received it on the behalf of the Marine Corps. The Marines that died that day, and that's what it's for. It's not for me. I'm the furthest thing from a hero," according to Meyer.

Sergeant Meyer is in Los Angeles as part of a tour promoting the medal. On Monday he did some sightseeing, including a stop at Universal Studios.

But this VIP tour is a long way from the battlefield.

Two years ago Meyer was a 21 year old Marine corporal stationed in Afghanistan's Kunar Provence. Under ambush, he saved 13 Marines and 23 Afghan soldiers.

Tragically his four best friends were killed. Meyer helped recover their bodies.

"Because of your honor, 36 men are alive today," President Obama said at the award ceremony on September 15th. "Because of your courage, four fallen American heroes came home."

Along with the Medal of Honor, Sergeant Meyer got to share a beer with the Commander in Chief.

"I just asked him what he would do in my shoes, at 23 years old, to be successful, what advice would he give me? He said don't rush into any decisions," according to Meyer. "Go to college. Get an education.”

Sergeant Meyer says he hasn't yet decided on his own future, but he did start a scholarship fund for the children of wounded veterans.

"Everyone wants to talk to me and pay attention to me," according to Meyer, "but my story is one of millions out there.

Sergeant Meyer says he'll honor his fellow Marines during his visit to California with a stop at Camp Pendleton.

No comments:

Post a Comment